Sunday, August 21, 2011

First Sunday

It seems that I should comment on my first Sunday but I don't know exactly what to say. I was very warmly welcomed by the congregation. I enjoyed the service and had many good conversations both before and after. There were several first time visitors so I wasn't alone in that respect!

I personally was intent upon neither elevating first Sunday to the status of life-changing event nor dismissing the significance of embarking on a new phase and place of ministry. I take this ministry very seriously, but on the other hand, it's one Sunday.

My best sermon ever? No. My worst? No. Nervous? Maybe a little. Obviously we're all sizing each other up but I wouldn't say that I felt on trial at all.

Here's a funny part. After tying my tie this morning I had the uncomfortable feeling that I might be wearing the same tie I wore when I candidated if not the exact same outfit. I called Debbie (she remembers these things) and she wasn't sure but at least confirmed that it was a possibility. So I switched ties.
As part of the announcement of my arrival they had slides with pictures of the family and one of me alone, pictures we had sent as part of the application process. And wouldn't you know it? The tie I was wearing in my solo shot (taken 2 years ago) is the same one I wore today. Keeping me humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment