Friday, May 11, 2012

Some perspective

As some of you know, my (Stephen's) sister and her family have ministered for several years in the Flemish-speaking region of Belgium. They went intending to do church leadership development but have ended up doing as much church leadership themselves as training anybody else to do it. In any event, there are similarities between our work.

However, I must confess that on more than a few occasions since arriving here in Honduras I have had cause to make mental note of certain inequalities in our callings, you might say. Often these are prompted by my brother-in-law's regular picture updates. As I (and most of humanity) am wont to do, I compare our situations.

  • They have quaint European villages and shops. We have dilapidated third world style architecture and markets with animals in varying states of life, death and dismemberment.
  • They have a cozy farm house in the country. We have a cinderblock condo behind a gate with a guard.
  • They have universal health care. We have universal security issues.
  • They have relatively easy access to France, the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, etc. We can take eternal bus trips to Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua. (Not knocking CA countries, but at least to me they don't measure up to the tourist bonanza that is Europe.)
  • They have 300 types of cheese, fresh bread, chocolate, waffles, and fries. We have rice and beans. (For me this one almost breaks even. But not for Debbie.)
As you can see, by my quick reckoning, Honduras doesn't measure up too well. Clearly God loves them more than he loves us, right? But today I have been brought me up short about at least one resource we have that they don't.

Recently my sister and her husband had to address an inappropriate song that was being used in their son's third grade class. After confronting the teacher with their concerns, they ultimately requested permission for their son to sit out of this song and dance routine. This, of course, took place in a public education institution. In general they have been pleased with their sons' education but this is not the first incident that they have had to deal with.

As my wife was telling me all this the realization hit me forcefully that one of the great blessings that we have here is a plethora of quality Christian education options. I have long been of the conviction that there is no one right educational choice and that all of the options--Christian, home, private, public--demand much of the parents in offsetting and addressing the dangers and shortcomings particular to each model. But we are absolutely convinced that our daughter's teachers have not only her best educational interests in mind but care for her spiritual well-being as well. That is a gift.

I won't lie. I will probably always rather visit Switzerland than Nicaragua. And this realization of our blessing is not likely to cure me of my tendency to think others have it better than I do. But it supplies me with a new truth to speak to myself when the lies and distortions come my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment