Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Looking back...a follow up

Lest you were worried after the last post that we might decide to drive indefinitely without side mirrors, I wanted to let you know that I had them replaced yesterday. We have learned several things in this little experience.
1) People steal things that seem to have little value.
2) Driving without mirrors is annoying.
3) Removing the entire mirror from our car is easy and only involves three small bolts.
4) Replacing the mirrors is cheap.

Now, it has only been about 24 hours so I cannot yet testify to the quality of the craftsmanship, but I left the mirror assembly at a shop yesterday morning and picked them up again around noon. The shop custom cut pieces of mirror and glued them onto the mirror adjustment mount so we can still use the motorized mirror adjustment controls in the car.

The charge? 140 lempiras or about $7.00. For both, not apiece. No kidding. I thought it was ridiculously cheap so I gave the guy $10 and told him to keep the change. He looked at me like I was crazy, but said, "Whatever."

So the downside to living in Honduras? You're likely to get your mirrors stolen.

The upside? It only cost $7 to replace them.

1 comment: