Sunday, January 15, 2012

It only sounds like complaining

I know what you're thinking.

"Okay, Steve. You've been funny and informative and even thought-provoking on the blog so far but honestly, haven't you been a bit too positive? I mean, it can't be all peaches-and-cream, right? C'mon, give us the dirt."

Fine. I'll tell you what I don't appreciate so much about life in Honduras.

  • Tile floors. Some of it can be attractive but most of it is just functional. And I know that there are good reasons for having tile floors here rather than carpet, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Thankfully it doesn't get too cold so the whole shocking bare feet on the icy tile thing doesn't happen.
  • Motorcyclists. They are a lot like mosquitoes. They are buzzing everywhere, they follow no rules, they frequently make you swat (or swerve) at inconvenient moments, and they don't particularly care. If you hit them they make a bigger mess on the front of your car than mosquitoes, though.
  • Taxi drivers. Complete disregard for the flow of traffic and all other motorists. If it is an inconvenient place to stop and especially if stopping there is prohibited, that's where they'll stop.
  • Bikini Saturdays. Every day the newspaper stands along the road put up an enlarged version of the front page headlines. A fine way to advertise. However, on Saturdays they replace the front page with bikini-clad women. Viva le weekend I guess. (The adds inside the newspapers here tend to be a bit more risque as well).
  • Loud music at restaurants. This is epidemic here. Hard to have a conversation. And when I need to hear and understand Spanish I prefer complete silence. No chance.
As you can see, these are not exactly important aspects of life here. We genuinely enjoy our lives here so far in spite of the changes and challenges.

And I haven't hit one motorcyclist. 

Yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment