Tuesday, December 13, 2011

How my life got better by moving to Honduras

I am sure that one of the first thoughts many people had upon hearing that we were moving to Honduras was to assume that this move would involve a change in quality or comfort of life for us. Our imaginations find it easy to run wild with this sort of speculation about places we have never visited. Tegucigalpa, Honduras sounds remote (but not exotic) and the common assumptions about Central America conjure images of burros laden with sacks of coffee beans on their way to markets made up of colorful tents and awnings festooned with recently beheaded chickens. I will admit that I have seen the beasts of burden (though it was loaded with bottles of soda) and the meat section of the central market is not for the weak of stomach. However, Tegucigalpa is not all that far behind in the services and luxuries that most North Americans regard as necessary for life. In fact, there are distinct ways in which I am living better here in Honduras than I ever have in the states and it is not primarily because of where my salary places me in the Honduran economy (which I don't really know other than that I'm better off than most but far behind many). Let me give a few examples.

  • We have a bigger home than we ever have. Except for the year spent house sitting and the year with my parents, this is the largest place we have lived. It is not lavish and the rent is reasonable, but by its layout and design, it is a spacious place. (Except for the kitchen. If both Debbie and I are in the kitchen it is a bit like the circus routine of the guys riding motorcycles inside the spherical cage.)
  • We have a bigger and better TV than we ever have. Up until a year ago we were using the 13" TV we bought a year after we got married. I probably wouldn't have spent the same amount on a set in the states but a friend from church was leaving and offered a good deal. (People are coming and going constantly and the speed with which the vultures gather people reach out to support the departing by relieving them of their earthly possessions for rock bottom prices is remarkable.)
  • My banking is more convenient than ever. Once we finally got our bank account set up here it is very easy. The online bill pay is more intuitive than any I've used in the states. I can do banking from my cell phone and I don't even have a smart phone.
  • Beans and rice are readily available. I love beans and rice. Obviously these things are available in the states but here, virtually every restaurant offers beans and rice as a side dish.
  • I have a nicer office than I ever have. The church building is made of brick. This includes the interior. I love brick. My office is brick with two walls of shelves. It is spacious, well ventilated, well lit, and comfortable. I have had other comfortable places to work from in the past but this certainly surpasses them.
  • I have a better view than I ever have. Tegucigalpa sits in a valley and is surrounded by verdant hills. We have yet to tire of the scenery, the hills, the play of clouds upon the summits in the morning. This is a beautiful country.
There are probably more I could list, and, of course, there are downsides too, but I will not dedicate a post to them; it would smack too much of complaining. And besides, they are not that significant a part of our lives. We are truly blessed and want you to know it!

1 comment: