Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I stand corrected

A few posts ago I was subtly dismissive of the church's self-description as "international" and suggested that most weeks that means little more than Americans* and Hondurans.
Just to spite me, I'm sure, this past Sunday we had at least the following nations represented: Germany, Honduras, the Netherlands, Taiwan, the United States, and Zambia. (Not to mention that the church guard is from Nicaragua.)
I enjoy worshiping in such an environment and just watched the people from different places lifting their voices in song in partial fulfillment of Revelation 7:9
After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nationtribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.
* To most people from the United States, "American" is a common and acceptable self-referent. However, when one gets out into other countries on the American continents its sounds inaccurate. Unfortunately, English offers no other demonym for our use. Spanish has the word estadounidense to refer to citizens of the United States, though, truthfully, gringo is more common!

1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed worshiping in Rwanda with the widows and orphans from the genocide. It is a little taste of heaven,as you so aptly expressed.

    ReplyDelete